Based in Barcelona, Spain
29th March 2022
Ikai is a first-person psychological horror game drawing inspiration from Japanese folklore. Live the horror by the hand of its defining yokais and submerge into the superstitions of the past driven by a unique story and exploration. The game embodies the spirit of the classical psychological horror genre with a defenceless main character incapable of attacking the evil creatures. However, it explores a new sense of horror by making the player face the threats directly neither fleeing nor attacking. Every mechanic of the game is meant to raise this relatable feeling of helplessness and create a tense atmosphere. The slow, precise and natural movements as a way of interaction resemble real life’s to foster immersion in the uncanny world of Ikai.
Ikai originated from a clear interest towards Japanese culture amongst the members of the team. The theme came almost naturally, however, the approach to be taken in order to treat this culture was uncertain at first. Several options were envisaged regarding the genre of Ikai. Ikai as a psychological horror game was conceived after the certainty of it being the best chance for the team to show its full potential.
- FEAR: Experience the horror in first-person by the hand of Japanese folklore’s spirits, monsters and yokais
- EXPLORATION: Wander around a feudal shinto shrine and explore to unveil the story behind Naoko
- DRAWING: Stay calm under pressure and concentrate on drawing protective seals
- PUZZLES: Pit your wits against the several puzzles that will challenge your survival
- STEALTH and RUN: Be silent, do not disturb the evil… Or just run, run away from it all, if you can…
Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner - I need to get myself away from this" IndieDevDay, 2021
- "Winner - Excellence in Audio" Busan Indie Connect Festival 2020 (BIC Fest 2020)
- "Winner - Audience Award" Three Headed Monkey Awards (3HMA), 2020
- "Winner - Best Narrative" PlayStation Talents, VII Edition, 2020
- "Nomination - Best Game of the year" PlayStation Talents, VII Edition, 2020
- "Nomination - Best Art" PlayStation Talents, VII Edition, 2020
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
At Endflame, the aim is to immerse players into a remarkable experience by bringing stories to life. A small indie studio of three classmates that have got back together after some years in the industry to combine their skills to develop video games they themselves would love to play.
More information on Endflame, our logo & relevant media are available here.